Friday, September 6, 2013

Looking like Brad Pitt in Fight Club


The other day, when I was umm.. eating a sandwich with a friend of mine, the talk turned, as it is generally wont to these days, when one is twenty seven and facing a quarter life crisis, to finding purpose to and disciplining our lives.

“We should start going to the gym, man”, he said, flexing his not inconsiderable biceps, “We should exercise one body part each day, 3 sets of it, each set more difficult than the last. Push our bodies to the limit, you know. Proper weight training.”

I, in turn, flexed my inconsiderable biceps and said, “No man. I don’t want to look like a potato with muscles. I want a more toned body, like… like Brad Pitt in Fight Club.”

Now, my friend, he’s done his fair bit of gymming. And I mean, actually gone through with it. Me, on the other hand, if there was an award for making plans to go to the gym and not following through with it, I think I’d be a strong contender for one of the top spots. If there was an award for looking in the mirror and trying to convince oneself that one’s A shaped body is, if viewed in the right angle, a V shaped body, I’d again be a favorite.

But, sadly, there are no such awards. And I remain globally (and locally) unknown.

Upon my making the above what I thought was a completely innocuous statement, he looked at me. The disdain with which he did so was so palpable it could have been a third person in the room.

“Boss, you won’t be able to look like a potato with muscles even if you wanted to. Inexperienced retards like you think that if you gym for 3 months, you’ll sprout muscles. You don’t. It takes a long while for your muscles to develop to that level.”

I wouldn’t say that this was the smallest I’d ever felt in life. There was this one other time, when I was about 11, when my class had divided itself into two halves for the purpose of a cricket match and I was the last one left to be picked. Both halves then sympathetically conferred on me the honorable title of ‘common fielder’. But this one, being told that I wouldn’t be able to develop muscles even if I wanted to, came pretty close. 

However, after the initial shock of being put down like that, the thought occurred to me that my friend was possibly right. The shock must have taken a while to wear off, since this thought occurred to me while I was taking a leak during the interval of a movie which I went to watch the next week. Or maybe, I just didn’t have anything else to think of then.

I realized that considerable hard work does go into ending up with even a body that looks like one’s cut open one's skin and put tennis balls in and that, one shouldn't, while lazing around in one's room, indulge in being judgmental of that body. Well, one can question the sense of aesthetics of the body's owner but his dedication, I suppose, is beyond reproach.

I could tell you that my friend’s comment galvanized me into action and that I have been ever since gymming regularly and have developed a body to be proud of. That would be, however, contrary to my policy of writing the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. 







4 comments:

oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, christian louboutin, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, christian louboutin uk, chanel handbags, replica watches, louis vuitton, ugg boots, nike roshe, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, nike free run, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, louboutin pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, uggs on sale, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, jordan pas cher, ugg boots, nike free, michael kors pas cher, oakley sunglasses, gucci handbags, prada handbags, polo outlet, burberry pas cher, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, oakley sunglasses wholesale, jordan shoes, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet online, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, christian louboutin shoes, air max

oakleyses said...

north face uk, coach purses, kate spade, true religion outlet, michael kors, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet store online, ralph lauren uk, burberry outlet, nike roshe run uk, hogan outlet, new balance, sac vanessa bruno, guess pas cher, true religion outlet, nike air force, oakley pas cher, ray ban pas cher, michael kors outlet, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, hollister pas cher, lululemon canada, michael kors outlet, nike air max uk, sac hermes, abercrombie and fitch uk, nike free uk, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, uggs outlet, north face, mulberry uk, polo lacoste, uggs outlet, burberry handbags, coach outlet, michael kors outlet online, vans pas cher, hollister uk, timberland pas cher, true religion outlet, nike tn, michael kors outlet online, converse pas cher, true religion jeans, nike blazer pas cher, replica handbags, nike air max uk

oakleyses said...

valentino shoes, celine handbags, ghd hair, herve leger, beats by dre, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, north face outlet, soccer shoes, reebok outlet, hollister, north face outlet, instyler, nike air max, baseball bats, ralph lauren, converse outlet, lululemon, insanity workout, hermes belt, nike air max, babyliss, longchamp uk, gucci, ferragamo shoes, hollister, mont blanc pens, soccer jerseys, lancel, p90x workout, chi flat iron, timberland boots, nfl jerseys, hollister clothing, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, wedding dresses, nike trainers uk, oakley, ray ban, iphone cases, mcm handbags, giuseppe zanotti outlet, louboutin, jimmy choo outlet, nike roshe run, asics running shoes, vans, vans outlet, mac cosmetics

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, moncler, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, pandora jewelry, replica watches, marc jacobs, doudoune moncler, swarovski crystal, canada goose, canada goose, moncler uk, links of london, wedding dresses, ugg, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, coach outlet, hollister, moncler, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, pandora uk, moncler outlet, ugg uk, swarovski, montre pas cher, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, moncler outlet

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.